Saturday, January 15, 2005

.... before we go

We are leaving tomorrow evening, but yesterday I put aside the packing and list ticking for a couple of hours and nipped over to Bath. I had the viva for my PhD which lasted about 2.5 hours and was mostly fairly minor questions (why does 'x' on line 3 become 'y' on line 4?). My main response was to feign idiocy ('feign' may not be right word for someone who thinks 1 - (-1) = 1 and includes it in a maths PhD thesis).

Anyway the two examiners, one of whom had almost a question/page and one who had only about four questions in total were very friendly. I left them to their deliberations and when I came back 15 minutes later it was all over bar my correcting about 300 silly mistakes. I shall be ordering a new sign for my office door at UWE. Eleanor says I've had a silly grin ever since.

So back to the packing,

Simon

No comments: